Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekend notes - no special agenda

Since Mark had played hookey last week, he really HAD to get some work done over the weekend, so we filled in the gaps with short trips here and there.

I think Ed will like the hand made bodhran we found at this sweet little shop (the owners look like they may have been there since it opened in the 1800's).
Very Traditional Irish Music Store

Another walk through St. Stephen's Green showed more signs of Spring just around the corner - - I haven't figured out what the red "R" stands for, but I'll let you know if I do.
Lord Ardilaun - worked to get the park opened to the public
Fortunately he succeeded

Our destination was the National Gallery of Ireland to see a watercolor that is so richly colored that it is only unveiled for one hour three times per week. . . the photo is from their website, as obviously I would not have photographed inside the gallery. The colors were truly beautiful, but what doesn't show in the photo is the intricate detail - - it looks as though the dress was woven by his brush, and each hair individually placed.  Amazing!
"One of the Gallery’s most popular watercolours, The Meeting on the Turret Stairs by Frederic William Burton (1816-1900) is now installed in a specially made cabinet in the Millennium Wing. Due to its delicate nature, the Burton watercolour will be available to view for a limited time each week"

Saturday evening Mass again - - had to hear that great choir singing in Irish again!  Then, I really was in a mood for PIZZA - funny what I miss - - - and Mark said he knew just the place.  We arrived and were early enough to get seated immediately.  I quickly glanced at the choices and was ready to order, while Mark continued to read and read.  Finally he started suggesting different combinations - - chicken, goat cheese, fresh beets - - really?  I wanted PIZZA - - pepperoni and hot peppers, please. . . so, we ordered the "American Hot" and I was a happy camper!

Sunday morning work, work, work for Mark while I caught up on some reading and bill paying. . . then off again on an adventure.

In keeping with our earlier "end of the line" trip to Howth, we headed to the end of another line -  this time to the southern terminus of the Red line of the Luas.  It took us into the foothills of the Dublin mountains, and skirted the sea-coast which we could catch glimpses of from time to time.
Views from the Luas
The terminal location was a disappointment until we chatted with the Luas driver as he walked from one end of the train to the other for the return trip. . . he explained that the barren fields were the graveyard of the "Celtic Tiger".  A major hotel, retail and apartment complex had been started, then failed to materialize - - - but not before the transit line had already been extended to serve it. At least the infrastructure will be there when they need it!

Heading back toward city center, we stopped off in a suburban shopping location to see what a mall looked like - - any you know what?  It looked like a mall!  Complete with Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken and TGIFridays.  Some things are the same everywhere.

Hard to see, but that's the modern mall at the end of the street
Luas bridge

It was fun to ride for a while, but we were glad to get back to walking

Have a great week everyone and Happy President's Day!



1 comment:

Pat Shaurette said...

knowing that SOMEONE out there will know the difference - - we took the GREEN line Luas out to Brides Glen (not the Red as mentioned above)